Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Get me to the hospital!!!

I am still in shock and awe how this latest baby came into my world. Campbell was several days past the so-called due date so I honestly never thought I'd have Bronson anytime before the 20th. Well here's how it all went down...
Saturday January 9th 7:20 am. I wake up and my water breaks. Inner dialog: "hmmm. That's crazy. This shouldn't be happening. I'm not ready for this baby. Car seat needs to be installed, newborn clothes need to be washed." My water broke with Campbell as well; however I continued at work for awhile then I calmly, casually got to the hospital and had him 12 hours later.
So I thought I had more time 'til the bomb would drop. I started to get my bag together, put on a bit of concealer (can't look completely horrible for those post-birth pics)... within about 5 minutes I started to have serious contractions. They were 2 minutes apart and painful. I appreciate how my water breaks first so I don't have to play the guessing game of "hmm, are these contractions serious? how many minutes apart?" Well, when they are serious, YOU KNOW.
Soon I start doubling over on the bed in pain. Adam meanwhile is running around - trying to get Campbell up and our things ready to go. He called a few people to watch Campbell but no one picked up their phone.
Now, about 15 minutes after my water breaks, I am screaming in pain and praying we get to the hospital in time.  Luckily it was early enough in the morning that traffic to the hospital was minimal. Adam was speeding and breaking traffic laws (which if you know Grandpa Adam's driving record, that is unusual). Yes, I'm still screaming.
We get to the hospital in about 8-10 minutes. 8:05 am. We rush into the ER entrance, where I am quickly wheeled to labor and delivery. "Pain meds? Epidural?" I ask, knowing that probably won't happen. The doctor examines me and says, "you're ready to push, this baby is coming."
Adam and Campbell got into the room with about 5 minutes to spare. Baby Bronson was born 8:28 am - about 1 hour after my water broke.
Some might envy me that it was so quick, but it was so intense and scary at home and in the car, I am just so glad I made it to the hospital. Yes, au-natural birth but definitely not what I planned!!

Bronson Thorne Baird
Weight: 8 lbs 10 oz.
Length: 21 inches





While in the hospital, I told Adam to go home and get a newborn outfit for Bronson to wear home. This is the best he could find. A christmas outfit, 3-6 months.



4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Congrats on the new little one. That is definitely a story you will be telling for years. I'm glad that it all worked out ok. Also, I love the newborn outfit Adam picked out...men they are just too funny.

Bridget said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bridget said...

Oh my gosh, Heidi. Way to GO! And CONGRATULATIONS! And, when I saw that last picture, I laughed out loud - hopefully that is what you had intended :)

Nikki said...

I've been waiting for this post. I'm honestly laughing out loud about the Christmas (size) outfit. I had to send my mom home for the outfit also. That is such a fun story, now. My epidural didn't work on one side of my body. I can't imagine having nothing!!! I can't believe why anyone would want to choose to go natural on purpose! Did you cope with the pain okay or were you screaming your head off? You'll have to call me when things calm down a bit. Love his name...cute little family!!!